RefBan

Referral Banners

Yashi

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

The Cynical Girl: Wealth Inequality

The Cynical Girl: Wealth Inequality

Link to The Cynical Girl

Wealth Inequality

Posted: 11 Mar 2013 06:45 AM PDT

The wealth inequality video is good. So good. I’m glad it’s gone viral.

But are people shocked by it?

The video asks us to wake up and see the reality. I think we see it. Our ongoing response to wealth inequality is what makes this video so sad. We seem to believe there are only two false choices: spend more taxpayer money or empower a deregulated market.

Is that it? More government or more corporations? We are still a country of oligarchs either way.

I wonder:

  • What do you think about wealth inequality?
  • Can you still “make it” in America?
  • Does it matter if the marketplace is fair as long as it’s free from hegemonic domination by the government?
  • Where do social issues come to play in wealth inequality?

You sit at the intersection of work, power, politics and money. What do you think about this video?

Monday Morning HR Humor: Business Stock Video Cliches

Posted: 11 Mar 2013 03:45 AM PDT

From KnowYourMeme:

From restaurant menus to business pamphlets, stock images are everywhere. Take a look at the evolution of stock photography and its clichés, such as “women laughing alone with salad.” Video made entirely using royalty free stock video footage.

Every HR training video has an empowered woman who crosses her arms.

The Week Ahead: March 10, 2013

Posted: 10 Mar 2013 03:45 AM PDT

A detail from Inhabited Painting, 1975, by Helena Almeida.Happy Sunday! How are you? I’m fine. Really. Everything is great.

I am just back from an awesome trip where I talked about the future of HR and recruitment at TruLondon. And it was fun to spend time with good friends outside of the event. No parasocial interactions. No parties where I looked for a microcelebrity bigger than myself. Just dinner. Lots of curry. And wine. Too much wine.

But no jet lag on the way home.

So life is good. I’m back to training for my next running event in April.

And you know I am busy being a writer. I failed to write my novel on feminism, coal miners and abortion set in 1960s Appalachia. I failed to finish my book of short stories that highlight love, alcoholism and political unrest in Prague. I killed my screenplay about a Chief Marine Veterinarian at an aquarium. I never wrote a book called 100 Essential Modern Poems About Work. I wanted to write a sweet little novella about a 40-year-old woman who is starting over. But then I got the idea to copy the song New York, I Love You But You're Bringing Me Down and turn it into HR, I Love You But You're Bringing Me Down.

That was a good idea but I failed.

This week? I am going to write a playscript based on the life of Joan Jonas. From Wikipedia:

Joan Jonas is a pioneer of video and performance art and one of the most important female artists to emerge in the late 1960s and early 1970s.

I realize a staged play probably isn’t the correct format for performance art, but I want your mom to go see this. I want butts in the seats in places like Oklahoma City and Duluth. So there will be catchy music and a few dance numbers. Maybe Kelly Clarkson can be part of the touring cast? Yes. Brilliant. We’re done here. It writes itself.

That’s it for me, everyone. Have a great week!

No comments:

Yashi

Chitika