RefBan

Referral Banners

Yashi

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

The Cynical Girl: Thankful for Work

The Cynical Girl: Thankful for Work

Link to The Cynical Girl

Thankful for Work

Posted: 19 Nov 2012 06:45 AM PST

Some people are busy celebrating Thanksgiving, this week. Buying a big, fat turkey. Shucking oysters. Boiling animal carcasses. Whatever.

This holiday is not for me. I don’t eat meat. I’ve never been a fan of turkey. But I do like to say thank you.

So today? I am thankful for my work.

My primary job at The Starr Conspiracy is so fun. And even when it feels stressful and weird, it’s still unbelievably fun. I work with marketers. We ideate and create.  And my new boss has been a welcome addition to the team. I’ve learned so much from him in such a short period of time. And I get paid for it. Holy shit. It’s a pretty sweet gig and I am truly thankful for my amazing colleagues who produce great work while having a good time.

And heck, I could be a Chinese coal miner or a day laborer on a construction site. Or I could be a firefighter in a sketchy neighborhood or an EMT who responds to meth lab explosions. Instead, I work with marketers. Not bad.

I am also thankful to be a writer. Some people say, “You’re not a writer. You are a blogger.”

Fuck you. I am a paid writer. Google me. And do you know how hard it is to be a paid writer? Any idiot can write content for free. Any chump can earn $25 for an article about HR technology. And right now, some algorithm is writing a blog post about Kim Kardashian’s impending divorce from her impending marriage from her impending fiancĂ© after she breaks up with Kanye.

I am a paid writer. I have not been replaced by an algorithm. I am really thankful for that.

And I am very thankful for the opportunity to work as a paid speaker. Very few people earn more than an honorarium when they speak. I charge (and collect) what the top 5% of speakers earn (and collect). Suckers. My good fortune then allows me to say yes and speak to smaller organizations and not-for-profit groups without being a primadonna and saying things like, “I don’t get out of bed for less than $25,000/day.”

Because I would actually get out of bed if you make me breakfast, baby.

Finally, I am thankful that I still peripherally work in the world of Human Resources. You know what? HR taught me how speak in a calm voice to hysterical men who make big decisions. You would be surprised how often that skill comes in handy. So I feel lucky to have the opportunity to work with other HR men and women and share some of my knowledge.

I come from a culture where work isn’t very dignified or fun. I hit the jackpot with my career, and for that, I am truly blessed.

Monday Morning HR Humor: I Believe I Can Fly

Posted: 19 Nov 2012 03:45 AM PST

A commercial for pet health insurance (?) via Gawker.

No comments:

Yashi

Chitika