RefBan

Referral Banners

Yashi

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Moneybox: Can You Enjoy a Strip Club Without Cash?

Slate Magazine
Now playing: Slate V, a video-only site from the world's leading online magazine. Visit Slate V at www.slatev.com.
Moneybox
Can You Enjoy a Strip Club Without Cash?
Yes, but the strippers don't appreciate it.
By Seth Stevenson
Posted Thursday, Mar 15, 2012, at 11:30 AM ET

I've gone about two months now without touching a dollar. If I'm honest, I must admit it's beginning to wear on me. I thought this stunt would be a cakewalk but, to my surprise, I find I'm pleading for it to end.

As I'd anticipated, most of my daily routine is unaffected by going cashless. But nearly every day I'm troubled by some trivial, cash-only obstacle. Once again this morning, I wanted to buy a soda at my corner bodega, and then remembered that the credit card minimum is five bucks. I've been told if you push back on rules like this they'll relent, so I gave it a whirl. No dice: The guy at the register looked at me with zero sympathy and said, "You gotta talk to da boss about dat." I was in a hurry. I didn't talk to the boss. I left without my soda.

There have been cash-only coat checks at restaurants and clubs. Off-duty taxis that demand off-the-books payment, and then drive away when I refuse. A coffee kiosk in the lobby of the Brooklyn Museum that had no credit card reader and thus couldn't sell me a badly needed dollop of caffeine.

These are hardly tragedies. Just silly inconveniences. But the steady drumbeat of minor annoyance is taking a strange psychological toll on me. The drip-drip of microloans I accept from buddies. The repeated explanations when people wonder why I don't just ...

To continue reading, click here.

Join the Fray: our reader discussion forum
What did you think of this article?
POST A MESSAGE | READ MESSAGES

Also In Slate

Romney's Latest Tactic: Scaring Voters With the Prospect of a Messy, Embarrassing Convention


Are Innocent Parents Being Wrongly Prosecuted for Shaken-Baby Deaths?


Rosenbaum: The Terrifying and Very Real Possibility of Nuclear War in the Middle East

Advertisement


Manage your newsletters subscription: Unsubscribe | Forward to a Friend | Advertising Information


Ideas on how to make something better? Send an e-mail to slatenewsletter@nl.slate.com.

Copyright 2011 The Slate Group | Privacy Policy
The Slate Group | c/o E-mail Customer Care | 1350 Connecticut Ave NW Suite 410 | Washington, D.C. 20036


No comments:

Yashi

Chitika