RefBan

Referral Banners

Yashi

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

The Cynical Girl: HR Can Be Lonely

The Cynical Girl: HR Can Be Lonely

Link to The Cynical Girl

HR Can Be Lonely

Posted: 09 Apr 2013 03:45 AM PDT

Here’s a conversation I had with an actual HR lady.

I love reading your blog because you just get it. I know you understand what it’s like to do my job. When people ask me why I read blogs and spend time on Twitter, I tell them, “I do this so I can tolerate my job.”

Yes, social media makes me better. Yes, I can learn more about HR. But it also keeps me sane.

While I love getting praise, I also love getting out from behind the computer and talking to HR professionals. It’s a tough job. Everybody knows better than you. And when you do your job right, nobody thanks you for helping the business grow. In fact, the best HR department is seamless and invisible.

So I get it. And this young woman is curious and willing to take risks. She is becoming more and more involved in social media. That is a good sign.

I have said this before and I will say it again: I think my life would have been different had I been part of a larger Human Resources community.  For those of you HR people who hate HR but love the flexibility of your job, I have one thing to tell you.

Don’t quit.

Stick it out. Make it better. Laugh at what won’t change. Pay your mortgage. Get out of debt. Go back to school. Spend more time with the people you love.

And make some really good friends.

IMG_0886

No comments:

Yashi

Chitika