RefBan

Referral Banners

Yashi

Monday, January 30, 2012

Moneybox: Copying Is Not Stealing

Slate Magazine
Now playing: Slate V, a video-only site from the world's leading online magazine. Visit Slate V at www.slatev.com.
Moneybox
Copying Is Not Stealing
And other ideas about copyright that Caleb Crain and I agree on.
By Matthew Yglesias
Posted Monday, Jan 30, 2012, at 07:08 PM ET

I'm having a little bit of trouble discerning what exactly Caleb Crain and I are disagreeing about. He seems to think I'm mistaken about copyright policy, but he doesn't quite specify what the nature of the disagreement is. He clearly finds me distasteful, and thus finds it pleasurable to muse on the possibility that he might steal my lunch (or reduce my salary to $0). But after considering these possibilities at length, he concedes—as I wrote earlier this month—that copying is in fact not stealing.

He seems to pass over this point lightly, but it's worth dwelling on. Someone might break into my house and steal some homemade tomato sauce from my freezer. It would be another thing entirely for Crain to miraculously duplicate the sauce, causing the world's total stock of tomato sauce to increase. In an intermediate case, Crain might simply copy down the ingredients (I follow Mario Batali's recipe but add some crushed red pepper) and cook his own sauce. Copyright law does not deem it illegal to imitate someone else's recipe, and nobody seems to regard doing so as morally problematic. Crain cites Immanuel Kant on the moral rights of the author, but this seems to me to relate to plagiarism rather than copying. For me to imitate Batali's recipes and pass them off as my own would be unsporting in the extreme (though not, I think, illegal), and self-respecting people don't do such things ...

To continue reading, click here.

Join the Fray: our reader discussion forum
What did you think of this article?
POST A MESSAGE | READ MESSAGES

Also In Slate

The RNC and DNC Are Getting Into Data Mining. Will They Sell Their Secrets for a Bundle?


Gingrich's Plan To Build a Base on the Moon in Eight Years Is Sheer Lunacy


The Publishing Industry Thinks Barnes & Noble Is Its Last Hope. Is It?

Advertisement


Manage your newsletters subscription: Unsubscribe | Forward to a Friend | Advertising Information


Ideas on how to make something better? Send an e-mail to slatenewsletter@nl.slate.com.

Copyright 2011 The Slate Group | Privacy Policy
The Slate Group | c/o E-mail Customer Care | 1350 Connecticut Ave NW Suite 410 | Washington, D.C. 20036


No comments:

Yashi

Chitika