RefBan

Referral Banners

Yashi

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The Cynical Girl: He Doesn’t Know What He Doesn’t Know

The Cynical Girl: He Doesn’t Know What He Doesn’t Know

Link to The Cynical Girl

He Doesn’t Know What He Doesn’t Know

Posted: 03 Apr 2012 03:45 AM PDT

I really hate corporate jargon.

  • Engage
  • Backward-Compatible
  • Top of Mind
  • Low-Hanging Fruit
  • At the End of the Day

My new least-favorite corporate saying is, “He doesn’t know what he doesn’t know.”

I heard it three times in the past week. It’s an awful thing to say. You know how I felt when I heard it? I felt angry and insulted on behalf of that person.

  • I can’t think of a more arrogant thing to say to anyone and about anyone.
  • The person who says something like that is a condescending fool.

I don’t work with geniuses and doctors — I work with HR, recruiting, sales and marketing professionals. This is one entire collective that doesn’t know what it doesn’t know. For one person to believe that he’s smarter and more insightful than someone else is a joke. In fact, it shows a real lack of self-awareness and depth.

So don’t say it.  Ever. Don’t fly too close to the sun, Icarus. Don’t ever think that someone doesn’t know what he doesn’t know. Don’t underestimate your colleagues, your peers or your competition. And don’t be a dick.

No comments:

Yashi

Chitika