RefBan

Referral Banners

Yashi

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Busted Productivity Myths, Avoiding Awkward Conversations, and the Apps We Couldn’t Live Without

December 6th, 2012Top Story

Busted Productivity Myths, Avoiding Awkward Conversations, and the Apps We Couldn't Live Without

By Adam Dachis

Busted Productivity Myths, Avoiding Awkward Conversations, and the Apps We Couldn’t Live WithoutThis week on the podcast we're talking about common productivity myths, how well gadgets survive under extreme temperatures in a car, and how to pitch an idea effectively. We're also answering your questions about getting out of awkward conversations, how to use GitHub, the apps we couldn't live without, and more.

How to Listen to This Week's Episode

Here's how you can listen to our episode:

News and Top Stories

Busted Productivity Myths, Avoiding Awkward Conversations, and the Apps We Couldn’t Live Without

Questions and Answers

Busted Productivity Myths, Avoiding Awkward Conversations, and the Apps We Couldn’t Live WithoutEach week we answer five questions from readers and listeners. Here's what we tackled this week.

  • My husband and I got caught in an awkward conversation with a coworker at a party. Is there an app that will get us out of this kind of situation? Yes, and it's called Rescu.me. That said, we favor being honest whenever possible. Telling someone they're bringing up an uncomfortable subject, or simply changing the subject to a better one, isn't a bad thing to do.
  • If you could only download one app on your phone, what would it be? Dachis chose Downcast (our favorite podcasting app for iOS, with DoggCatcher being the Android equivalent), Alan choose Yelp (for iOS and Android), and Whitson went with BeerCloud (for iOS and Android).
  • I am looking into getting a smartphone, but only for use on Wi-Fi or other such hotspots. What are a few decent older model smartphones (I'm on a budget) that could be used? We settled on an old iPhone or an old Google Nexus as the best choices. They're cheap used and still work great.
  • How do I use GitHub? We don't have a specific guide for this, but Gun.io has a great one.
  • Recently, I purchased a couple of Airport Express' as an alternative to the expensive Sonos system. I have set them up and they are great! Wireless music controlled by your iPhone is great! However, I am not a big fan of iTunes, and I am looking for alternatives that would allow me to play music stored on my network drive, to multiple airport expresses and control using my iPhone. The problem with iTunes is that it slows down my desktop since I have to keep it running at all times. What are my options? Nothing works better than iTunes, but try AirFoil (Windows and OS X), Raop (Linux and OS X), or just keep your music on your iPhone.

Tips of the Week

Busted Productivity Myths, Avoiding Awkward Conversations, and the Apps We Couldn’t Live Without

Downloads of the Week

How Do I Submit a Question?

Busted Productivity Myths, Avoiding Awkward Conversations, and the Apps We Couldn’t Live WithoutThere are three ways to send in your question:

Please keep your questions as brief as possible. This means about 3-5 sentences for emails and 30-60 seconds for calls and videos. Your questions can be specific, but broader questions are generally better because they'll apply to more people. For example, "how can I breathe new life into my old PDA?" is much better than "what can I do with an old HP iPAQ 210?" Either way, we look forward to hearing from you!

Newspaper, Computer, Clock (by Brandon Hopkins), and Alert (by Dima Yagnyuk) provided by the Noun Project.

Number of comments

No comments:

Yashi

Chitika