RefBan

Referral Banners

Yashi

Thursday, October 27, 2011

About Human Resources: 10 More Dumb Things Managers Do

If you can't see this email, click here

About.com

Human Resources

Employ People

Manage People

Succeed at Work



From Susan M. Heathfield, your Guide to Human Resources

Vol. 12 No. 141 - ISSN: 1533-3698 October 27, 2011

Dear People:

What can you hope to accomplish when you write a resignation letter to quit your job? My sample resignation letter prompted a thoughtful exchange with a reader. Your thoughts are welcome, too. Please join the discussion. My reader asked: "I'm curious as to your feedback about not including a paragraph such as the one you suggested: 'I will miss working with you very much as you have provided me with many opportunities to both learn and contribute. Your coaching and support have been invaluable to my progress. I will also miss many of my coworkers and customers and take many positive memories with me to my new employment...'" Read more...

Do you know that I write a new blog post every day? Check out the blog in the center column on my home page.

Comments, questions, suggestions? Email Me.

Please forward this newsletter, in its entirety, to your colleagues, coworkers and friends, because you want to add value to their work and lives.

Regards and wishing you and yours the best this weekend,

Susan


10 More Dumb Things Managers Do

Want to know more dumb things that managers do? You can avoid doing the dumb things that managers do that undermine their effectiveness - if you know what they are. Talking with an experienced manager to prepare to write this article, I was struck by what he said: "The biggest mistake I've seen managers make - and I've seen it quite a few times - is to assume that you know what's going on." Read more...


Is HR Misunderstood - Or Do We Blow It?

"I'm just a soul whose intentions are good" -- but, the most common emails I receive, and frequent posts in the HR Forum, too, describe a Human Resources horror story. Employees tell me endless stories about how they were treated by their HR staff person. I'd like to continue to collect stories, but I'd also like to shed some light on why and how employees can feel wrongly treated by HR.


What to Wear to Work

Interested in what to wear to work? I have written many dress codes for workplaces over the past few years because I was regularly receiving questions about what to wear to work, especially attire for business casual workplaces. So I developed several of those dress codes. But the questions increased about casual dress codes. More employers, especially employers who don't host customers in their workplace, asked me to define what to wear to work in a casual environment. Here's what I said.


How to Reduce Resistance to Change

Resistance to change is a natural reaction when employees are asked, well, to change. Change is uncomfortable and requires new ways of thinking and doing. People have trouble developing a vision of what life will look like on the other side of a change. So, they tend to cling to the known rather than embrace the unknown. Change produces anxiety and uncertainty. Employees may lose their sense of security. They may prefer the status quo. The range of reactions, when change is introduced, is immense and unpredictable. Read more...


 


Human Resources Ads
Featured Articles
Say No Thanks - With Care
Embrace Performance Management
Accused of Things I Did Not Do - What to Do?
4 Ways Women Hold Themselves Back
Need Quotes about Nonverbal Communication?
360 Degree Feedback: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

 

More from About.com

Food and Mood
Indulging a sweet tooth can cause weight gain, guilt and even worsen depression. Here are a few expert tips to help you resist. More>



Carb Cravings
Ever wondered why you crave carbs (or chocolate and sugar) when you're depressed? Some scientists say it may be chemical. More>




This newsletter is written by:
Susan M. Heathfield
Human Resources Guide
Email Me | My Blog | My Forum
 
Sign up for more free newsletters on your favorite topics
You are receiving this newsletter because you subscribed to the About Human Resources newsletter. If you wish to change your email address or unsubscribe, please click here.

About respects your privacy: Our Privacy Policy

Contact Information:
249 West 17th Street
New York, NY, 10011

© 2011 About.com
 


Must Reads
Human Resources Basics, Careers, Jobs
Free Human Resources Policies, Samples
Human Resources: Job Interview Tips
Human Resources Job Descriptions
Top 10 Human Resources Tough Questions

Advertisement

No comments:

Yashi

Chitika