What is really in Coca-Cola? What is the Colonel's "Original Recipe"? What makes Google - and even WR40 really work so well? Well, here's a great article from Bruce Watson of AOL's Daily Finance that will help you find out about ten of the all-time biggest trade secrets in business. Read:
Very interesting and insightful piece! Comment here on the blog, and do share this blog posting from Wyld About Business with your friends and colleagues to start a real - or virtual - water cooler conversation (does anyone really do that anymore in an age of bottled water and Starbucks?).
This article serves the purpose of providing information about the cultural environment in management. Information within this article may be beneficial to employers, employees and prospective employees and managers. Culture is very diverse and it what separates many individuals. Also within this article you will gain a understanding of different personalities, ethics and morals and how they affect productivity and the business.
The Idea in a Nutshell
Culture is one the major forces of an environment. Individuals of different cultures often portray differences in behavior and values. Employers look at the behavior and values of prospective employees to determine if they fit with the company’s mission/goal. Everyone wants his or her chance to shine and to be recognized. Most importantly they want to represent their culture and show off their talent. Universally, the four basic cultural skills include: planning, organizing, directing, and controlling the show! These four basic skills are a summary of how much time and effort it takes to be the most efficient and effective manager.
The Top Ten Things You Need to Know About Managing the Cultural Environment
1. Chain of Command is important because it allows associates to understand levels of management. If they are aware then they have an understanding of expectations.
2. Confidence and Courage can take you very far. In society you are motivated to be strong and assertive. If you step up to challenges you will be seen as competitive and frontal and perceived as a leader.
3. Human skills play a big role in many businesses and organizations. The Ability to work well with others and cooperate on one accord will aid in future success of the organization. Benefits of being cooperative and kind to others include rewards that may eventually lead to recognition amongst others.
4. Leadership and leading by example as a manager the best way to get positive feedback from your employees is to show them how it’s done. Set a goal and be involved so you can motivate them to develop into better employees and future leaders. Provide an example of how you would do things as an invitation for them to share their ideas.
5. Coordination is a key component. Just like fashion the business has to be together and precise. As a manager you must be able to sustain control and delegate task. Task must be delegated in a manner that embraces each employee’s cultural differences so they feel comfortable.
6. Versatility and globalism is a benefit to everyone involved in the organization. In today’s society globalism is considered a necessity. Ultimately one individual or a group of diverse people can inspire productivity because other cultures may sense competition; if they see others doing more than they themselves will also attempt to exceed expectations. The manager has to be wise and observational while dealing with diversity.
7. Identification, having a sense of gratitude and appreciate for the employee’s that are loyal and perform well. It is important to express thankfulness and provide recognition. The employee feels valued and will therefore continue to better the company.
8. Correspondence, when you communicate with employees make sure all proper research of employees has been completed. The research is essential because the management approach and leadership deliverance has to accommodate various psyche. Simply because people of different cultures and ethical backgrounds perceive things differently.
9. Support, in regards to support you want your employees to know you care. It is a tendency to tell employees when they are doing wrong and not so much when they are performing well. Positive feedback will keep the employees on the right track. Also by knowing what they are doing wrong and right it will give them an opportunity to improve.
10. Achievement, the manager’s ultimate goal. After setting goals, choosing the right individuals for specific task, proper training, delegating and coaching, recognition and success should take place. Feel free to inform your team of current accomplishment, so they can know they played a role in the company’s achievement.
The Video Lounge
This video discusses the cultural environment on a national level. Most importantly understanding the differences in organizations and how they directly affect failure or success. Also within this video is information about Hofstede’s theory, uncertainty avoidance and much more.
Embracing diverse cultures and experiment with the differences is extremely beneficial to any organization/ business and its success. When individuals feel more included and valued they tend to put an abundance of passion into their work. Today, I see an increase in cultural effects in the workplace amongst employers. There is no longer a stereotypical face in a lot of organizations/ business. In my opinion I believe that diversity and culture it’s the heart of success. There are many different approaches when taking on business. Combining them is like having a winning ticket. Cultural differences aren’t just physical but mental as well and multicultural environment draw a wide range of consumers to the business.
Robbins, S. P., & Coulter, M. (2009). Management. Pearson.
(2009, May 10). Social Cultural Considerations. Retrieved June 23, 2010, from: http://www.witiger.com/internationalbusiness/culturalconsiderations.htm
Heathfield, S. M. (n.d.). ABOUT.COM Human Resources. Retrieved June 23, 2010, from: http://humanresources.about.com/od/organizationalculture/a/culture.htm
If you enjoyed this publication, why not make one of your own with us! Are you a college or university student from anywhere in the world who would be interested in publishing your work in an edited online journal appropriate to your topic? Such a move can help put muscle into your resume and make a great impression on potential employers and graduate schools (and needless to say – and perhaps most importantly in the age in which we live – likely be the first thing that companies/universities view about you when “Googling” you)! If so, we can help you get that first publication for free (and more if you desire)! Visit Wyld Publishing Services (http://wyldpublishingservice.yolasite.com/) for details. We can work with you to publish your quality essays, research articles/papers, reviews, etc. – and even audio and visual media and PowerPoint presentations – given our network of edited publications and relationship with publishers around the world who want to work with you and your work. Contact us today at firstname.lastname@example.org.