2. US GDP grew at a 3.5% pace in Q3, beating expectations for 3% growth. Personal consumption climbed 1.8%, a bit lighter than the 1.9% expected. Real final sales (GDP less the change in private inventories) jumped 4.2%, up from 3.2% in Q2.
3. Notably, government spending jumped 4.6%, adding 0.83 percentage points to the GDP growth rate. "After being such a massive drag on the economy in recent years, the public sector is now a big positive," Capital Economics' Paul Ashworth said.
4. Different economists were surprised by different components of the GDP report. "The big upside surprise in the data is the residential investment component, where the 1.8% increase is impossible to square with the monthly construction data — we expected a 10% drop — and a downward revision in due course is a decent bet," Pantheon Macroeconomics' Ian Shepherdson noted.
5. Initial jobless claims climbed to 287,000 from 284,000 a week ago. This was a bit higher than the 285,000 expected. The four-week moving average sat at 281,000, the lowest level since 2000. "Looking past weekly volatility, trend initial jobless claims remain at extremely low levels and are consistent with our outlook for further improvement in labor markets," Barclays' Jesse Hurwitz said.
6. Gold fell below $1,200 again for the first time in a month. The yellow metal fell from around $1,215 to as low as $1,196.
(Newser) - Police believe the deaths of five members of a Utah family last month were "not accidental or natural in any way," according to newly released documents. Benjamin and Kristi Strack, their sons Benson, 14, and Zion, 11, and their 12-year-old daughter Emery were found dead in their Springville... More »
(Newser) - It sounds like a Tim Burton film, but the reality is much creepier: Chinese police have arrested 11 people in the country's east who are accused of playing a role in a "ghost marriage." In the ancient custom, a man who dies single is laid to rest... More »
(Newser) - When Sunday rolls around, Brittany Maynard could still be alive. The terminally ill 29-year-old, who has grabbed headlines in the last month over her decision to take medication to end her life on Saturday, has released a new six-minute video that explains she still plans to do so—but indicates... More »
(Newser) - Kaci Hickox went on a bike ride today, hours after saying she's going to fight the stigma on medical professionals who've treated Ebola patients and not let politicians bully her. With a showdown looming over her potential forced quarantine in Maine, the nurse emerged from her home to... More »
(Newser) - The Navy SEAL who shot Osama bin Laden dead in a 2011 raid is planning to reveal his identity to the world—starting with Fox News. The man known as "The Shooter" will be interviewed by the network for a two-part special airing on Nov. 11 and 12 called... More »
(Newser) - The allegations against former CBC host Jian Ghomeshi are building, in number and in detail. The Toronto Star reports it has now spoken to eight women who say Ghomeshi abused or sexually harassed them over a period running from 2002 to the present. Among the more bizarre allegations: Two women... More »