RefBan

Referral Banners

Yashi

Thursday, November 10, 2011

The Browser daily newsletter [10 Nov 2011]

10 November 2011

 Best of the Moment

Why Americans Won't Do Dirty Jobs

Elizabeth Dwoskin | Businessweek | 10 November 2011

Alabama has 18% unemployment. But there are lots of difficult, dirty jobs available. New laws forced migrant workers out; now few Americans are prepared to take on their roles. “I have 158 jobs, I need to give them to somebody" Comments

How To Save Israel

Gershom Gorenberg | Slate | 9 November 2011

What will Israel be in five years, or 20? A thriving democracy within smaller borders, or a pariah state where one ethnic group rules over another? The hub of the Jewish world, or a place that Jews abroad prefer not to think about? Comments

The Resentment Machine

Freddie deBoer | New Inquiry | 7 November 2011

Provocative essay on capitalism, Internet. We are raised to compete for status, material rewards. So, as adults, we invest great meaning in the "cultural goods" we acquire. Web amplifies this, defining us by our vacuous consumption Comments

How A Financial Pro Lost His House

Carl Richards | NYT | 9 November 2011

Cautionary tale of excess, naiveté, financial risk. "This is the story of how I lost my home, the profound ethical questions that arose along the way, and what my wife and I learned from the mistakes that led us to that point" Comments

Crowds R Us

Ian Leslie | Intelligent Life | 2 November 2011

"Crowds, we are often told, are dumb. They obliterate reason, sentience and accountability, turning individuals into helpless copycats." Which is misleading. Crowds do indeed change our behaviour. But often for better. Not for worse Comments

How To Take Your 4-Year-Old Daughter To A Football Game

Willie Geist | Grantland | 9 November 2011

"Ever since I moved to New York I've been meaning to go to a Columbia University football game. But it's tough to find a wingman for a trip like that. This year, I stopped asking my wife. Instead, I invited my 4-year-old daughter" Comments

No comments:

Yashi

Chitika