RefBan

Referral Banners

Yashi

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The Cynical Girl: Should I Blog Under My Own Name?

The Cynical Girl: Should I Blog Under My Own Name?

Link to The Cynical Girl

Should I Blog Under My Own Name?

Posted: 22 May 2012 03:45 AM PDT

Here’s one of the most common questions I receive AND one of my highest search terms.

Should I blog under my own name?

Everyone should know that privacy and anonymity are dead. The only reason people don’t know your dark secrets is that no one cares. Personally, that scares the hell out of me and also makes me use the internet differently. And it should probably scare you, too.

Blog under your own name if you have something to say. Blog under your own name if you want to tell a story. Blog under your own name if you want to be known for someone with ideas.

Don’t blog at all if you are afraid of someone misunderstanding your words. Don’t blog under your own name if you are afraid that someone will find your address and phone number and reach out to you personally. Don’t blog under your own name in pursuit of celebrity.

And certainly don’t blog under your own name if you fear getting fired.

For the record, I want to share this career advice.

  • If you fear getting fired, you are the first person who will be fired.

People who operate out of fear are the ones who are the neediest and the least productive. You are also the most dangerous. You’re the first to go.

And I want to ask you a question. Do you really need to blog? Maybe yes. Maybe no.

Start there.

No comments:

Yashi

Chitika